Sir John Evans Centenary Project - image background is marbled paper from one of John Evans's books John Evans Numismatic Society Medal 1899

Sir John Evans's Collections of Artefacts

First Artefact
Previous Artefact
Next Artefact
Last Artefact
 

Anglo-Saxon Jewelled Pendant

Country of Origin: Britain

Description: Gold jewelled pendant with a large circular cell in the centre which now empty. Spaced around its circumference are four raised cloisons, two of them enclosing blue glass inlays. There are also four T-shaped or stepped cloisons enclosing garnets. Between the T-shaped cloisons are four raised circular cells, also now empty. The pendant is filled with filigree ornament of beaded wire, arranged singly or in pairs. The back is plain and the suspension loop encloses what appears to be the remains of a leather thong, of doubtful antiquity. The pendant dates from the late-sixth to early seventh century.

Dimensions: 3.7cm diameter

Object Period: Anglo-Saxon

Provenance: Faversham, Kent

Museum Accession No.: AN1909.207

Aquisition History: Presented to the Ashmolean by Sir Arthur Evans in 1909.

Other Information: There are a number of artefacts from the early Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Faversham in Kent in the Evans Collection, including glass and amethyst beads (AN1909.144, AN1909.155 & AN1909.162), a bracteate (AN1909.194) and a jewelled disc brooch (AN1909.196) (These objects can be viewed on this website).


Further References / Links:

P.D.C. Brown and F. Schweizer, 'X-Ray flourescent analysis of Anglo Saxon jewellery', Achaeometry 15 (1973), p. 178, pl. AM12.

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick, Ashmolean Museum: Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals) (Oxford, 1993) BAR British Series 230, no.24.1.